Wednesday, April 21, 2010

Equitation!

I don't think I've done cone-weaving in, oh, about 10 years! But yesterday we worked on position and turning via a simple cone-weaving exercise. Basically I worked on the concept that legs/hip/upper body are in fact separate entities and can be used separately for the most responsiveness. Ultimately, the most effective way to do these slight turns was to focus on both moving my hips and legs while keeping my upper body straight. Weirdly enough, Radar is super-responsive to these small changes in my seat. The fact that Radar, of all horses, responds to this kind of ride is really interesting for me and makes me excited about the direction my riding is going now. Radar can be so dull and stiff that his responsiveness to the seat is kind of amazing.

No comments:

Post a Comment