Tuesday, May 10, 2011

Expectations of Obedience

So today Mia had me working a lot on changing my mindset when it comes to how I ride.  Coming from 15 years of riding predominately school horses, you tend to get a bit lax about things. (I said trot. How about a trot? Five strides later... you finally get the trot you asked for) But that isn't how it's supposed to work and I'm a decent enough rider that I can expect my horse to respond to my aids and get after him when he doesn't.  He's a lot happier, too, when it's clear what exactly he's supposed to be doing!

After that little discussion, we worked on some circles/turning them into serpentines whenever possible.  Our arena isn't huge, so it involves a fairly quick change of bend between half-circles which sometimes proved difficult but by the end of the ride I managed to get him moving and changing nicely.  Definitely ended on a good note.

And apparently his owner dropped by for a surprise visit/check after Mia had made the offer... and was so happy to see how well he's doing that she cried.  I'm glad our appreciation and admiration for him shows.

No comments:

Post a Comment