Saturday, November 28, 2009

Too much leg!

So after a week off of lessons and still recovering from a nasty ear infection, I managed to have a wonderful lesson on Friday. We worked a lot on leg yielding, both in the posting trot and the sitting trot, getting Radar to a point where he is straight before starting the leg yield and figuring out how to encourage more sideways movement. I actually was using too much leg (seriously, I never thought that would be an issue!) and had to play around with how to use my outside rein as a a supporting rein of sorts for encouraging sideways movement. It's weird to think of doing that, after I spent so many years trying to not have my horse drifting through the outside shoulder to the rail in the leg yield to realize that using that rein is sometimes very helpful and provided the half-halt Radar needed. Did some really good sitting trot work and got one amazing canter circle totally unintentionally... it felt really good! It made me dizzy, though, so we kept it at one each direction. Radar was such a good boy and definitely deserved the peppermint he received after my ride.

No comments:

Post a Comment