Saturday, July 23, 2011

"horses come and go": saying goodbye to Indy

I had my last ride on Indy yesterday, he's going back to his owner to be a trail horse now that his lease is over.  Completely understand why he didn't totally work in the lesson program, but am still sad.

Had a nice relaxing ride with a lot of thinking interspersed. Mia made me articulate every thing I've learned from Indy in the last year... here's what I can remember:
  • Don't judge a horse by their physical conformation. Who would've thought that I'd love a huge-strided horse who is about a hand and a half taller than ideal?
  • The mind is the most important thing for me.
  • I like a forward horse with a great mind. I like Indy's "Go" but with his slower mental energy it evens out and is comfortable.
  • Rhythm is important. I like horses with a sense of rhythm about them.
  • I can learn to ride a big-strided canter if I have the motivation.
  • Just because a horse is thin-skinned and pissy about being groomed doesn't mean they're not happy to be with you in their own way (totally anthropormorphizing, but whatever).
  • It's interesting to get to know a rather subdued horse and recognize what he wants after riding more effusive horses. His personality is not that obvious but worth recognizing and becoming familiar with.
I'll miss him.  Two potential horses coming into the barn for other clients, plus Radar and maybe V., so I'll have a few horses to lesson on.  It just won't be the same for awhile.



No comments:

Post a Comment