Sunday, October 4, 2009

Riding a "school horse"

Although Radar is privately-owned, the fact that his owner subsidizes her board by allowing him to be ridden in lessons makes him in some ways similar to the school horses I have ridden my entire riding life. Thankfully these are mainly "good" things - being ridiculously patient, tolerant of somewhat questionable riding at times, and generally a pretty easy-going personality. Alas, today, I experienced a rare not-so-good product of riding a horse ridden by others - the after-effects of so-so rides that you have no control over. Yesterday Radar was worked pretty hard and wasn't too happy about it. Today when I asked him for a little bit of right bend on a circle tracking left, he really got resistant to it and totally ignored my aids. We decided to forgo the circle entirely, and just worked on bending both ways going large. Thankfully that worked well, and I ended up with a forward, bending and happy pony.

I brought my camera out and Mia got a few really good photos of us - I really want to try to be better about this, thinking about all the horses I have ridden over the years who I don't have any photos of to remember them with... I played around a bit with Photoshop to make myself a desktop background with these photos:

No comments:

Post a Comment