Thursday, October 29, 2009

We actually successfully cantered a few circles!

Now that we've gotten the concept of "straight"...leg yielding is so much easier! On Tuesday we warmed up with the usual alternating counter-bend, true-bend exercise, then progressed to doing a few short leg yields once both directions of bend were established. It's so much less work to get a good leg yield now that I can pretty much "feel" when Radar is straight. We definitely were more successful than previous attempts. The other big breakthrough was in our canter work, which once again all comes back to straightness and the outside rein. Radar's canter is pretty bad, and takes a fair amount of micro-managing to get it done successfully for more than a few strides. I wish I still had access to Bandit, who I could literally canter around on the buckle and really work on my seat and myself. My lesson concluded with a bunch of canter work, and I actually managed to get Radar around a few circles without breaking-- and our downward transitions have gotten so much better, I can really get him settled and organized now. A very good ride overall.

No comments:

Post a Comment