Tuesday, September 29, 2009

A sitting trot to make your heart swell

Well, horses being horses, the plans for a longe lesson got cancelled due to horse injuries. So I was back on Radar. I was a bit worried as soon as I got on because my back was really tight and achy. Posting the trot didn't really feel all that good, so I basically went straight into a large circle at the sitting trot. My sitting trot was actually really good, I was able to relax my hips and sit really well. Mia had me working on different ways of opening up my right hip, eventually telling me to visualize my crotch opening up and facing right (a little graphic, but I'll take whatever works!) and that helped to much... I finally was straight! I was able to sustain this on both the circle and going around the entire arena. We tried a few baby leg yields in this position and my right leg (of course, the leg with the problems!) isn't quite strong enough to effect my pony--thankfully I have spurs now--but I will work on that.

As I was untacking, Mia said my sitting trot was enough to make her heart swell -- aww! Occasional validation is always nice, especially for those of us who don't show so don't have the ribbons for "proof" that what we're doing is exciting and important for anyone other than ourselves.

No comments:

Post a Comment