Wednesday, September 16, 2009

Aren't horses amazing?

We all know that horses are wonderful animals, but every so often something happens that makes me think about it. I volunteer at a therapeutic riding center, where children with a multitude of disabilities receive therapeutic riding and hippotherapy. This year I started leading a young girl who is nonverbal, and was very afraid to get on the first lesson... once she was on, however, she didn't want to get off! I love doing her lessons because she's so happy to be there and conveys that happiness even without being able to tell us. Another girl I lead has an ASD and becomes easily overwhelmed and confused by directions and stimulation, but the mare she rides seems to sense this and compensates for her. These horses and ponies are simply incredible in their patience, their calmness, and their ability to sense what their rider is capable of and adapt to it.

I think as a rider, and especially as a dressage rider, I've become attuned to every little part of my body and my position that needs to be better, or that will never be as good as I want it to be. I guess it is good to step back every so often and realize how fortunate I am to be able to ride and to have had access to horses in my life.

No comments:

Post a Comment