Tuesday, September 1, 2009

Why Write? Why Blog?

Actually these two sentiments are fairly intertwined, and things I ask myself (repeatedly!) when things aren’t going so well on either front. The simple answer, of course, is that it makes me happy and fulfills me in some way. This blog is perhaps mostly for myself, for me to chronicle my journey as I learn, struggle, and enjoy the horses I am so lucky to have in my life.

And who, exactly, am I? Grad student (almost done!), hopeless academic, theater-loving city girl who fell in love with horses at summer camp and never looked back, life-time lesson student who has yet to own a horse of her own, dressage aficionado, a rider who sometimes struggles to ride with a neurological impairment, and ultimately a (shameless) wanna-be competitive rider…. someday in the future. When I have time. And money. And talent.

I have ridden both school horses and privately-owned horses over the years, and the horse I currently ride is a privately-owned Fjord pony. We struggle with the same things many amateur dressage riders face: impulsion, straightness, forwardness (how many times do I hear “more forward!” each lesson? Quite a few!), and believing in ourselves. Recently we have become more “connected” with each other–well, that mostly amounts to me actually having a clue what my body is telling the poor pony to do!–and have begun to work on collection and rhythm.

No new horse blog would be complete without shameless pony pictures. Here is my poor, long-suffering pony dressed up as a hot dog last Halloween… posted because the expression of utter indifference is so hilarious:

100_0446

So, more dressage blogging is to come soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment